Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ike visited us, too...barely

Well, we didn't get much of Ike, only some wind, but it was strong enough to bring a little excitement into our lives. We had been home from church for a few hours and I had made a couple apple pies for after dinner. Well, we decided to drop by Lonnie and Sarah's (my brother and his fam) who live about 10 minutes down the road. We loaded up the kids and pie and headed their way and the wind just began to really pick up. By the time we got to Lonnie's, there were branches in their driveway, their cars were parked away from any trees, so we took the hint. We had to dart across their lawn pretty quickly because walnuts were shooting out of their trees like bullets, it was pretty crazy. Little did we realize we'd have dessert and a show! We sat on their front porch watching branch by branch crack and fly off the trees as we ate apple pie and ice cream. They had already lost power by this time, so we were wondering what it would be like when we got to our place! It was an exciting drive home with trees and power poles and lines down, but our home only had a few branches down (darn it...we have cottonwood trees and I would have appreciated a few more branches down) and a few spots of shingles off of our roof. Thankfully, we had power, but we do have a generator and it's always fun to fire it up. We are thankful that Kevin's dad was visiting this weekend so he could help Kevin replace the shingles on the roof the next day. Our thoughts and prayers really go out to our friends in Texas and Illinois who were in much worse situations than ours. We hope you were kept safe in the midst of it all.

4 comments:

Cassie and Chad said...

I bet it was nice just sitting and watching it with pie and ice cream. I love storms just not scary ones. Plus I am way impressed with your pie making abilities!!!!

J. Baxter said...

Big news about Ike - but I'm in shock over the apple pies!

I'm sure you've been making beautiful, delicious apple pies for years now, but I can't help but remember when you wanted me to help you make one while we were roommates... Tell me you remember that! It's one of my favorite roommate stories EVER - right up there with the Serving With Smiles pic you took of Sharice:)

Amanda B. said...

That wind storm was something, wasn't it? We still don't have power- had to check email/blogs at my sisters house. Couldn't stand it anymore- going through withdrawal!!!!!

EmHy said...

Wow Stephanie, I am glad you were all okay. I love that you were eating apple pie while watching the strom. I want to know about this roommate pie making story and the picture of Sharisse. I also really like the pictures on Megan's blog, she really has a nack for taking beautiful pictures.